— Three-Day Ice Climbing Camp —
- Trip Length: 3 Days
- Trip Type: Course
- Difficulty: Advanced
- Total Mileage: 10mi
- Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,000′
- Private Solo – $2,200
- Private 2 Participant – $1,295/person
- Private 3-8 Participant – $995/person
- Group – $995/person
- Group Trip Dates
June 11-13, 2023
July 1-3, 2023
July 21-23, 2023 (Women’s Specific)
Aug 18-20, 2023
Sep 7-9, 2023
Private Trips with custom dates are available.
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
Learn how to ice climb and take your climbing skills to the next level! The Root Glacier provides an endless field classroom with various terrain features that are perfect for learning and praciticing. Not only will you get a ton of ice climbing laps in and get to practice your technique, you’ll also learn the rope systems involved so that you are ready to get out there and climb on your own! Let our stoked and professional climbing guides show you the ropes!
- Learn in the field with stunning Alaskan backdrops
- Curriculum is customized to your learning style and experience
- Small group format ensures you get individualized instruction
- Root Glacier has endless and varying climbing terrain
- Ice climbing technique
- Climbing knots
- Ice anchor building
- Belaying and rappelling
- Gear familiarity and maintenance
- Route selection and terrain assessment
- Lead climbing (optional)
- Advanced rope skills and rescue (optional)
- Professional guide(s) – 4:1 ratio
- All the food on the trip
- Group camping gear (bear canisters, cookware, fuel, tents*)
- Ropes, non-technical crampons, and some other technical gear
*We recommend that you bring your own tent, if possible.
What’s not Included?
- Personal camping and technical gear (see Equipment List)
- Logistics surrounding your trip
You’ll need to be in McCarthy the day before your trip begins for an Orientation and Gear Shakedown. You’ll meet your guide, grab group gear and make sure you are fully prepared to go into the backcountry.
Please account for a full day for travel both to and from McCarthy and the next Alaskan destination. We don’t recommend leaving McCarthy the last day of your trip as this cuts significantly into your last backcountry day and usually makes for a very hectic drive.
If you are planning your trip +2 months before your trip start date, upgrade to a Trip Package! A Trip Package will include transportation to/from McCarthy, local lodging, and any other local activities you’re interested in. We charge a non-refundable $50 Trip Package fee per person for this service.
Get in Touch!
Looking to book a Private Trip or not sure if this is the right trip for you? Schedule a call with our Expedition Coordinator – she’ll help you narrow down which trip is best for you and answer any questions you have about our trips, the local area, or surrounding logistics!
CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!