— Kennecott Mill Town Tour —
- Price: $28 Adult / $14 Child
- Trip Length: 2 Hours
- Difficulty: All ages & Abilities Welcome!
- Dates: Three times a day from May 26th to September 8th, 2019: 9:30am, 1:30pm and 3:30pm.
Additional tour time of 11:30am from July 1st to August 15th, 2019.
Custom times available on request for groups of 8 or more.
- Photo Gallery
Alaskan History, Frozen in Time
Kennecott, Alaska is a ghost town frozen in time. When the Kennecott Copper Corporation abruptly abandoned the town in 1938 they left behind their equipment, their buildings, and their personal belongings. However, their stories of discovery, perseverance, and ingenuity live on. Come see what it was like to live and work in this remote wilderness as you tour the town site with one of our knowledgeable guides; listening to tales of lucky fortunes, tenacious frontiersmen, and tragic endings. And, you’ll even be able to explore INSIDE the 14-story concentration mill and several other historic buildings as our guide service holds the exclusive concession with the National Park Service to do so. With three tours departing daily (and an additional tour during the peak season), the 2 hour Historic Mill Tour is a must-do for anyone visiting Kennecott, Alaska.
- Tour INSIDE the 14-story concentration mill and several other historic mining buildings
- Learn the fascinating history of one of the richest copper strikes in history
- Listen to amazing stories of the people who lived and worked in this remote, mountain wilderness
- See buildings, mining equipment, and personal artifacts left as they were in the early 1900’s
Please note: this is not your typical history tour. This two hour long tour involves walking a mile, including a hiking trail up a steep hill with 150ft of elevation gain. Once in the building, you will navigate uneven floors, and descend 10 sets of stairs with handrails that are steep and uneven, with low headroom. Contact us with any questions you may have about the difficulty of the tour!
Price: $28 Adult / $14 Child
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!