Since 1978 St. Elias Alpine Guides has provided Alaska mountaineering trips and courses in North America’s premier mountain wilderness, the Wrangell St. Elias National Park.
With over 150 first ascents in the Park to our name, we have the knowledge and experience to make your trip a success. We offer small-group wilderness-style expeditions – no fixed lines, no sherpas, no busy basecamp scenes and established camps, no weather stations, and usually no one on the mountain except our team! This is a different style of climbing and takes strong mental and physical fortitude as teams must be completely self-sustained.
With 7 of the 10 tallest peaks in the country in our backyard, we proclaim Wrangell St. Elias National Park an Alaskan mountain climbing paradise! The convergence of three impressive mountain ranges offers remote, world-class climbing throughout the spring and summer months. Whether you’re just starting out or a seasoned veteran, we’ll help you select the perfect summit or the ultimate line for an expedition of a lifetime!
Why climb or ski in Wrangell – St. Elias National Park?
- Unlike the busy basecamp scene at Mt. Denali with bushplanes and helicopters buzzing overhead, out here you’re not likely to see another party on your expedition
- On May 25, 2022 over 100 climbers summited Mt. Everest. On the same day, our team of 10 summited Mt. Bear (15,831). They were the only team to climb and summit Mt. Bear last year…
- Wilderness climbing is the purest form of the sport and will test your limits. No weather stations, fixed lines, sherpas, established camps, or skin tracks to follow – it’s just you and the mountain.
- While access to this remote and less-frequented part of the world is difficult, our logistical team keeps planning easy and your trip running as smoothly as possible.
- Our team of expert and experienced guides will help you push yourself and achieve your personal best.
- Beginner mountaineers with some previous big-mountain experience
- Expert mountaineers looking for the challenge of a remote Alaskan objective
- Climbers looking to tick off the tallest peaks in the country
- Experienced backcountry skiers looking to extend their ski season
- Experienced backcountry skiers interested in a big-mountain objective
All of our mountaineering trips are all-inclusive Trip Packages!
- Customized trip planning
- Van transportation to and from Anchorage
- Lodging in our historic bunkrooms (as far as capacity allows)
- An orientation day at headquarters and group packing (most trips)
- Your professional guides (2 minimum on each trip)
- Scenic bush flights with technical landings for access
- All food in the backcountry and in McCarthy
- Group camp and technical gear (tents, fuel, sleds, ropes, etc)
You’ll be responsible for your own personal camping and technical gear, getting to and from Alaska, and gratuities for your guides.
Group, Private and Custom Trips
We offer several ascents and a ski camp each season as Group Trips, and Private Expeditions for just you and your party or Custom Trips that go even further off the beaten path may be available! Contact our Expedition Coordinator to start planning your trip! CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.