— Chugach Mountain Circuit —
- Trip Length: 5 days,
- Difficulty: Advanced
- Total Mileage: 25mi
- Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 3,000′
- Private Solo – $5,375
- Private 2 Participant – $3,550/person
- Private 3-6 Participant – $2,940/person
- Group – $2,630/person
- Group Trip Dates:
June 23 – 27, 2023
July 28 – Aug 1, 2023
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
A story of Ice and Tundra…
One of the things that make Alaska and Wrangell-St. Elias in particular unique is the massive amounts of glaciated terrain. Within its boundaries exists the nation’s largest glacial system, with glaciers covering 34.8% of the park. This trip takes you deep into the Chugach Mountains where dramatic hanging glaciers are dwarfed by the highways of ice that criss-cross this unbelievable landscape! Green tundra valleys full of pink Fireweed and serene alpine lakes provide a stark contrast to this spectacular scenery. The Circuit is definitely a guide favorite!
- Extensive glacial exposure and exploration
- Rugged Alaska trek with minimal elevation gain
- Dramatic scenery of rock and ice
- Opportunities to gain a local summit
- Best backpacking route in the Chugach Mountains
- Professional guide(s) – 4:1 ratio
- Gorgeous 40min bush flights in and out of the backcountry
- All the food on the trip
- Group gear (bear canisters, cookware, fuel, tents*)
*We recommend that you bring your own tent, if possible.
What’s not Included?
- Personal camping and hiking gear (see Equipment List)
- Logistics surrounding your trip
You’ll need to be in McCarthy the day before your trip begins for an Orientation and Gear Shakedown. You’ll meet your guide, grab group gear and make sure you are fully prepared to go into the backcountry.
Please account for a full day for travel both to and from McCarthy and the next Alaskan destination. We don’t recommend leaving McCarthy the last day of your trip as this cuts significantly into your last backcountry day and usually makes for a very hectic drive.
If you are planning your trip +2 months before your trip start date, upgrade to a Trip Package! A Trip Package will include transportation to/from McCarthy, local lodging, and any other local activities you’re interested in. We charge a non-refundable $50 Trip Package fee per person for this service.
Get in Touch!
Looking to book a Private Trip or not sure if this is the right trip for you? Schedule a call with our Expedition Coordinator – she’ll help you narrow down which trip is best for you and answer any questions you have about our trips, the local area, or surrounding logistics!
CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!