— Upper Chitistone Goat Trail —
- Price: $1,675 (4 days), $1,895 (5 days), $2,015 (6 days)
- Trip Length: 4-6 Days
- Difficulty: Requiring Fitness and a Sense of Adventure!
- Dates: June 29-July 3 (5 days)
July 9-14 (6 days)
July 15-19 (5 days)
July 29-Aug 2 (5 days)
August 12-15 (4 days)
August 19-23, 2019 (5 days)
Custom Dates Available
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
Short and sweet – a deep backcountry trip in Wrangell St Elias in 4-6 days
If you’re looking for a shorter trek, but still want to experience some of the best backpacking terrain in the Wrangell St. Elias National Park, the Upper Chitistone Canyon Trek is for you! Located in the heart of the Wrangell St. Elias National Park, the Chitistone Canyon offers some of the most spectacular backpacking in Alaska, if not the world. This superlative hike follows the “Goat Trail”, so named by miners making their way to the gold fields of the Interior. This “trail” explores the only pass that bisects the magnificent Wrangell and St. Elias Mountain ranges. Flying by bush plane, you and your guide are dropped off on a remote plateau in the Hole-in-the-Wall region where this adventure begins. Hiking into the canyon, you and your guide join the route of our 11-day Chitistone Canyon Expedition. The end of the adventure is spent in silent awe as you cross pristine Chitistone Pass and finish by scrambling out amid glaciers onto the tundra of Skolai Valley. The Upper Chitistone Canyon Trek is a moderately difficult trip designed for experienced backpackers who want to go beyond the trail and see some of the best the Wrangell St. Elias National Park has to offer. We recommend the 5 & 6 day itineraries to have more time to explore this remarkable area.
- Breathtaking views of the Wrangell and St. Elias Mountains from Chitistone Pass
- Test your Alaska backpacking skills on the “Goat Trail”
- Explore the glaciers and high alpine tundra of the Upper Chitistone Canyon
- Shorter version of our spectacular Chitistone Canyon Expedition
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!