— Chugach Backcountry Ski Basecamp —
- Expedition Length: 6 days skiing, 8 days in Alaska
- Total Mileage: 20-30mi
- Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 12,000-24,000’
- Max Group Size: 8
- Difficulty: Avanced Backcountry Skiing
- Private Solo – $16,200
- Private 2 Participant – $9,550/person
- Private 3-6 Participant – $6,260/person
- Group – $5,500/person
- Group Trip Dates:
May 19-24, 2023
Private Trips with custom dates are available.
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
Ski endless epic lines in the remote Chugach Mountains
Situated along the gulf coast and containing some of the tallest peaks in Alaska, the Chugach Mountains provide an unrivaled wilderness feel and limitless, amazing ski terrain! We’ll set up camp at one of our secret spots (locations vary based on conditions) in a remote area among these spectacular summits to enjoy a private playground of steep couloirs, thin spines, and wide open slopes! and well-earned turns! Throughout the trip participants will have opportunities to ski down some incredible lines, lead ski mountaineering ascents, and learn about the special considerations of Alaskan backcountry terrain.
- A world-class venue of big mountain glaciated terrain
- Remote environment ensures you have the place to yourselves
- Multiple guides mitigate pace or interest discrepancies
- Complex Alaskan logistics made easy
- Extend your ski season!
- Van transportation to and from Anchorage
- Lodging in our historic bunkrooms
- Two 45min scenic bush flights to and from the Chugach Mountains
- Your professional guide(s)
- All the food on the expedition and in McCarthy
- Group gear (ropes, cookware, fuel, tents, etc)
We highly recommend you bring as much of your own technical equipment as possible so you can learn how to use it and become more familiar with it
What’s not Included?
- Personal camping and technical gear (see Equipment List)
- Trip insurance
- Skiers and split boarders must be very comfortable with off-piste terrain and black diamond-level resort runs
- A minimum of 30 days of backcountry skiing/split boarding are required, but many more are highly recommended
- Excellent fitness and endurance are highly recommended
Easy peasy! This trip is run as a Trip Package so logistics are included and taken care of! You’ll get picked up in Anchorage and brought to McCarthy where you can stay at our historic HQ bunkrooms, sleeping on the same bunks that held many of the first explorers of this Park! Food is included and provided by your guides while in McCarthy and out in the backcountry. Upon return, your guide will stoke up the sauna for you and tuck you into bed in the bunkrooms again, providing a ride back to Anchorage the next morning. Upgrades to more comfortable lodging or transport logistics are available.
The following is a sample itinerary for this trip. Due to individual abilities and goals, as well as the strong environment swings of Alaska, all of our trips are customized as they unfold. Your guide will fluidly make decisions based on weather, conditions, logistics, safety, and group dynamics to maximize each day’s experience. There can be quite a bit of variation, but we always strive to make every trip your best ever!
Wed, May 17th: Arrive in Anchorage and spend the night. (You will arrange this part)
Thurs, May 18th: Our van picks you up in Anchorage and drives you 8hrs East to McCarthy. Meet your guides and enjoy dinner together. Complimentary lodging in the rustic bunkrooms of our historic Powerhouse building. (Upgrades to flights or more comfortable accommodations may be available.)
Fri, May 19th: Fly out deep into the Eastern Chugach to set up your camp and scope out your lines. You will have 6 days in the pristine backcountry to ski to your heart’s content!
Wed, May 24th: Say goodbye to your snowy home and experience “green shock” as you fly back to McCarthy. Enjoy a hot sauna, a cold beverage and warm bed up in the bunkroom. (Upgrades to more comfortable lodging may be available)
Thurs, May 25th: Load into the van in the morning and begin the drive back to Anchorage. We recommend planning to spend this night in Anchorage before flying out the next morning – this gives you a buffer in your itinerary for any unexpected delays.
Get in Touch!
Want to book a Private Trip or not sure if this is the right trip for you? Schedule a call with our Expedition Coordinator – she’ll help you narrow down which trip is best for you and answer any questions you have about our trips, the local area, or surrounding logistics!
CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!