— Nizina River Wild —
- Trip Length: 5 Days
- Total Mileage: 45mi
- Whitewater: Class II-III
- Access: Bush flights in and out of McCarthy
- Max Participants: 12
- Min Age: 8 yrs old
- Private Solo – $10,125
- Private 2 Participant – $5,775/person
- 3 Participants – $4,675/person
- 4-6 Participants – $3,440/person
- 7-9 Participants – $2,900/person
- 10-12 Participants – $2,600/person
Group Trip Rates determined by # of Participants
- Group Trip Dates:
June 17-21, 2023
July 15-19, 2023
Aug 5-9, 2023
Private Trips with custom dates are available.
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
Fly deep into the wilderness to access the headwaters of this great Alaskan river. The source of the river, the Nizina Glacier, melts and calves into a huge terminal lake, filling it with enormous icebergs – a unique sight in this land-locked, mountainous landscape. White capped peaks and ice give way to thick forrest and tall cliffs – a mile high, in fact! Expansive views from the great, braided riverbed eventually funnel you into the splashy class III rapids of Nizina Canyon to finish the trip with a bang! A classic Wrangells float, the Nizina River gives access to some of the most incredible features of the park, with a mix of flying, floating and hiking for the ultimate Alaskan adventure!
- See the source of an Alaskan glacial river
- Spend a day exploring the icebergs of Nizina Lake
- Camp right under the Mile-High Cliffs
- Class III rapids in the Nizina Canyon
- Great mix of rafting and hiking
- Fly in and out of the backcountry on a bush plane
- Customized trip planning
- Logistics consultation*
- Your professional guide(s) – 3:1 ratio
- Orientation and a Gear Shakedown
- Gorgeous bush flights in and out of the backcountry
- All the food on the trip – breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Group and personal rafting gear (PFDs, dry bags, boats, etc)
- Group camping gear (camp kitchen, groover, tents**)
*Upgrade to a Trip Package and have logistics included with your trip!
**You are welcome to bring your own 3-season tent if you prefer
What’s not Included?
- Personal camping and hiking gear (see Equipment List)
- Logistics surrounding your trip
You’ll need to be in McCarthy the day before your trip begins for an Orientation and Gear Shakedown. You’ll meet your guide, get fitted for equipment, take your dry bags and make sure you are fully prepared to head into the backcountry.
Please account for a full day for travel both to and from McCarthy and the next Alaskan destination. We don’t recommend leaving McCarthy the last day of your trip as there is always a chance of bush flights getting delayed.
If you are planning your trip +2 months before your trip start date, upgrade to a Trip Package! A Trip Package will include transportation to/from McCarthy, local lodging, and any other local activities you’re interested in. We charge a non-refundable $50 Trip Package fee per person for this service.
Get in Touch!
Looking to book a Private Trip or are not sure if this is the right trip for you? Schedule a call with our Expedition Coordinator – she’ll help you narrow down which trip is best for you and answer any questions you have about our trips, the local area, or surrounding logistics!
CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!