— Half-Day Glacier hike —
- Price: $110 Adult / $90 Child
- Trip Length: 5-6 Hours
- Difficulty: Minimal experience required
- Dates: Offered daily at 9am from May 26th to September 10th, 2023. Additional tour time of 1pm from July 1st to August 15th, 2023.
Other start times and/or custom/private trips available – inquire with us for details!
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
Best Glacier Hiking in Alaska
Our Root Glacier hike is most likely the best day hiking trip in Alaska, and almost certainly the best glacier hiking in Alaska! After meeting your guide and getting fitted for crampons, you’ll start out on the 2-mile hike to the “white ice” of the Root. Along the way, your guide will share interesting details on the local natural and human history. Once on the ice, you will explore other-worldly formations unlike anything else you have ever seen: blue pools, waterfalls, canyons, crevasses, and moulins – holes drilled hundreds of feet deep into the ice by the flowing meltwater.
- Moderate hike to the glacier (with some steep sections), suitable for anyone who can hike approximately 5 – 6 miles
- Amazing glacial formations such as blue pools, canyons, and crevasses
- Knowledgeable guides who will share detailed information on local natural and human history
- Stunning views of the 7,000ft high Stairway Icefall and 16,394ft Mt. Blackburn
There is no set route so you and your guide can explore what is most interesting to you. After a picnic lunch (which you’ll provide) on the ice, you’ll head back by a different route and return on the trail to Kennecott. Glacier Hiking in Alaska at its finest!
Wondering about transportation logistics, how many people will be on your tour, or what to bring? Check out our FAQs – carefully curated to help you plan, you may find the answer to a question you didn’t even know you had! Once you book with us you’ll receive a confirmation with additional information specific to your trip.
We strongly encourage advanced reservations for all of our activities. If you’re planning on heading out to the Wrangells this summer, please make a reservation today! You can easily book online yourself by clicking the orange “Book This Trip” button on the left or give us a call and we’ll be happy to assist you!
Price: $110 Adult / $90 Child
*Lunch is not included in trip prices, but you’re welcome to purchase a Snack Pack for $8.
Are you unsure if this is the trip for you? Buy a Gift Card in advance, giving you the ultimate flexibility as you plan your Alaska adventure!
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!