— Chitina River Journey —
- Trip Length: 3 Days
- Total Mileage: 65mi
- Whitewater: Class II-III
- Launch: McCarthy, Alaska
- Take out: Chitina, Alaska
- Max Participants: 12
- Min Age: 8 yrs old
- Private Solo – $3,975
- Private 2 Participant – $2,475/person
- 3 Participants – $1,775/person
- 4-6 Participants – $1,220/person
- 7-9 Participants – $1,110/person
- 10-12 Participants – $1,130/person
Group Trip Rates determined by # of Participants
- Group Trip Dates:
June 21-23, 2023
July 19-21, 2023
Aug 9-11, 2023
Aug 25-27, 2023
Private Trips with custom dates are available.
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
The perfect Alaska Rafting Trip for all ages and abilities
Putting in just below the terminus of the great Kennicott Glacier, you’ll float the historic passageway through the Wrangell Mountains all the way to the town of Chitina. Splashy class II-III rapids give way to expansive views of the forested backcountry and possible wildlife sightings. Covering more miles than you ever could on foot, this trip takes you down three iconic Alaskan rivers – the Kennicott, the Nizina and the Chitina. This three-river float is the shortest and most affordable of our multi-day rafting trips with the easiest logistics!
- Scenic float through the wilderness with chances of wildlife sightings
- Great for beginner campers and families with kids
- Short and sweet, perfect weekend trip
- Explore McCarthy/Kennecott and float back to Chitina
- Customized trip planning
- Logistics consultation*
- Your professional guide(s) – 3:1 ratio
- Orientation and a Gear Shakedown
- All the food on the trip – breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Group and personal rafting gear (PFDs, dry bags, boats, etc)
- Group camping gear (camp kitchen, groover, tents**)
*Upgrade to a Trip Package and have logistics included with your trip!
**You are welcome to bring your own 3-season tent if you prefer
What’s not Included?
- Personal camping and hiking gear (see Equipment List)
- Logistics surrounding your trip
You’ll need to be in McCarthy by Noon on launch day. In McCarthy, you’ll meet your guides, repack your gear into dry bags and make sure you are fully prepared to head into the backcountry.
The trip ends in the late afternoon in the little town of Chitina. Chitina is located on the highway system and is a 5hr drive from Anchorage. Daily transportation is offered to McCarthy from Chitina and there is a place at the Chitina airport where you can leave your vehicle while on the trip. There are very limited lodging options in Chitina.
Any luggage you don’t want to bring on the river with you can be stowed at our HQ and it will meet you in Chitina by the end of the float.
Many adventurers like to start the trip with a few days in McCarthy/Kennecott, accessing the interior of WSENP, enjoying local hikes and activities, and getting more historical context for the trip down the river. Check out our Transportation Page to learn how to get to and from McCarthy. Check out our Lodging Page for lodging recommendations in the area.
If you are planning your trip +2 months before your trip start date, upgrade to a Trip Package! A Trip Package will include transportation to/from McCarthy, local lodging, and any other local activities you’re interested in. We charge a non-refundable $50 Trip Package fee per person for this service.
Get in Touch!
Looking to book a Private Trip or are not sure if this is the right trip for you? Schedule a call with our Expedition Coordinator – she’ll help you narrow down which trip is best for you and answer any questions you have about our trips, the local area, or surrounding logistics!
CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!