— Bremner Mine Basecamp Hiking —
- Trip Length: 2.5 Days
- Difficulty: Moderate-Advanced
- Total Mileage: 10-13mi
- Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,700-4,000′
- Private Solo – $4,825
- Private 2 Participants – $3,300/person
- Private 3-6 Participants – $2,940/person
- Private 7-8 Participants – $2,690/person
- Dates: Custom dates available June-Sept 2023
- Trip Itinerary / Download PDF
- Equipment List
- Photo Gallery
A journey back in time in the wilderness!
The Bremner Mine is a 40-minute bush plane flight south of McCarthy, and is nestled in an high pass between the Chitina and Bremner Rivers. Designated the Bremner Historic District, this abandoned gold mine provides a unique glimpse into what it was like to be part of the great “gold rush” to Alaska a century ago. Buildings, artifacts, and relics of the little bush mine remain deep in the wilderness and help history come to life, blowing you away with how the early prospectors navigated the rugged wilderness! Day hike opportunities offer comfortable hiking to alpine lakes and meadows or more challenging excursions that include several local summits.
- Exploration of historic buildings and artifacts
- Multiple hiking options available based on ability
- Scrambling opportunities for peak-bagging
- Stunning alpine scenery of tarns and wildflowers
- Quick backcountry getaway!
- Professional guide(s) – 4:1 ratio
- Roundtrip 40min bush flights in and out of the backcountry
- All the food on the trip
- Group gear (bear canisters, cookware, fuel, tents*)
*We recommend that you bring your own tent, if possible.
What’s not Included?
- Personal camping and hiking gear (see Equipment List)
- Logistics surrounding your trip
You’ll need to be in McCarthy the day before your trip begins for an Orientation and Gear Shakedown. You’ll meet your guide, grab group gear and make sure you are fully prepared to go into the backcountry.
Please account for a full day for travel both to and from McCarthy and the next Alaskan destination. We don’t recommend leaving McCarthy the last day of your trip as this cuts significantly into your last backcountry day and usually makes for a very hectic drive.
If you are planning your trip +2 months before your trip start date, upgrade to a Trip Package! A Trip Package will include transportation to/from McCarthy, local lodging, and any other local activities you’re interested in. We charge a non-refundable $50 Trip Package fee per person for this service.
Get in Touch!
Looking to book a Private Trip or not sure if this is the right trip for you? Schedule a call with our Expedition Coordinator – she’ll help you narrow down which trip is best for you and answer any questions you have about our trips, the local area, or surrounding logistics!
CLICK HERE to schedule a call at a time that works well for you.
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!