Tristan grew up stemming slot canyons in the deserts of southern Utah and playfully skiing the Wasatch mountains. In college, he moved into his first self-built van dubbed the Yellow Submarine so he could spend his rent money on climbing gear and rafting trips instead. The first river trip he ever guided was down the Grand Canyon, a trip he jokes “ruined his life”. He’s been chasing rivers ever since, finding solace in the solitude of the wilderness.
A bonafide desert rat, he never thought he’d leave. However, the pull of a land free of dams and full of wild rivers led him to drop everything and move to Alaska.
“Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.” -Rumi
When he’s not navigating the endless braids of glacial rivers you’ll find him studying volcanoes. A geologist by training, he loves teaching others about the amazing natural wonders of the Wrangells. He also loves making music with others, building his own outdoor gear, and foraging. Join him for the day on a Raft & Flightsee Trip!
- Hometown: Salt Lake City, UT
- Education: Earth Sciences at University of Hawaii
- Certifications: Wilderness First Responder
- Favorite Wrangell Adventure: Floating to Cordova on the Copper River
- Best Wrangell Memory: Kayaking the jökulhlaup (glacial outburst that causes highwater) under the Kennicott River Footbridge